Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Creamy Winter Whites. . .

Taking a short break 
from Bits 'n Pieces Inventory preparation,
On Crooked Creektt today, 
I added creamy winter whites to the built~in china cabinet.



Winter on the Prairie of Kansas can be quite challenging.
Usually mid~February will find us with mounds of ice and snow.
Today. . .it's 68 degrees!




I took advantage 
of the sun shining through the opened patio doors
by removing the pine cones and faux evergreen boughs
from the interior of the built~in china cabinet.




Once I had removed all the Silvery Shimmer. . .(here),
a quick wiping down of the cabinet shelves and washing of the glass doors, 
I began to challenge myself by only using creamy ivory and white.

First, 
I placed two of my vintage creamy ivory serving platters
centered on the top shelf. The platter on the left has no identifying label.
The platter on the right bears this labeling on the back, 
D. E. McNicol, Vitrified China, Clarksburg, W. Va. 1929.





Since there is no plate rail in the interior of the cabinet,
I decided to place the platters on easels for more stability and height.



Of course,
the smaller serving platter wouldn't stand alone.
Each time I stood it up, down it slid.
Better be safe than sorry, I say.



Next,
came my Avon pear tea pot, sugar and creamer.
This is my all~time favorite tea pot!





The right side of the top shelf showcases my Homer~Laughlin
gravy boat atop a Homer~Laughlin petite oval serving dish.





Always the greatest challenge,
the middle shelf is barely eight inches in height!
I chose to add my creamy ivory serving bowl 
and stock it full of salad/soup bowls. 






* * * * * * * Tip * * * * * * * 
Place the glass lid from one of your jar candles 
inside the bottom of the bowl, then stack the smaller bowls atop the lid.
It makes a "perfect" riser. The plastic rim holds items firmly in place.



Once it is set within your cabinet,
it remains invisible to the unknowing eye.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The right side of the middle shelf took several attempts 
until I was satisfied with the overall outcome.

First,
I placed my Johnson Bros. England 
petite dessert plate on an easel as a backdrop to my stack 
of Syracuse . China 95 . E  U.S.A. desserts
and placed my four unmarked ironstone butter pats beside them.





Not feeling adequate symmetry for my usual Traditional Style Decor,
I tried once again by re~arranging the bottom shelf.





This was getting better, 
but still like a souffle gone flat in "my mind's eye"!

The England white swirl patterned creamer
combined with my Syracuse China U.S.A. bowls keeps the visual direction
of left~to~right flowing gently across to the unmarked stack of dinner plates.





The addition of my McCoy bowl atop the stacked dinner plates
gave a more cohesive appeal, while blending creamy ivory with white.





Once I was pleased with the effect of the bottom shelf,
I realized the "perfect" accessory for the middle shelf.



Sculptural.
A white ceramic single pear.
By removing two of the butter pats and adding the sculptural pear, 
I was able to achieve the needed visual height.





I'm quite pleased with the challenges 
I faced and overcame with creating Creamy Winter Whites
within the built~in china cabinet On Crooked Creektt.

Much like the fresh air from my opened patio doors. . .
this creamy winter white cabinet is a welcome change!


Until next time. . .


 On Crooked Creektt will be joining



And. . .



And. . .



Inspiration bounds at the above linky parties
be sure to visit each for you'll come away
with amazing ideas for your own home decor!

11 comments:

podso said...

I do love all your whites. They look good agains the red in your cabinet. Some day I need to get some white, though I certainly don't need more dishes,but you can do so much with them by adding other color.

Marigene said...

Your creamy white dishes show so nicely against the red background.
Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather, Pat!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, I love your new look with the white. I still adore the wallpaper in the back too. Hope you're doing well.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sarah said...

Pat, love the look of the white with that beautiful background fabric.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love all of your beautiful white dishes and the lovely way you have displayed them, Pat! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comments!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh sweet Pat, ALL your WHITES are gorgeous! You know me with all my darn collectins, but White, it's really, really my fav and so is Mr. Living's fav too! You have set them up so beautifully with that lovely background, for us to admire them even more.
Have a wonderful weekend, dear.
FABBY

Kathy said...

So glad you stopped by Pat that I might return the call! Rearranging built-in's is a good place to start spring cleaning/decor. I love your white dishes - and how you arranged them - wonderful tips! Have a blessed weekend
Kathy

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Great minds think alike, dear friend!
You have such a knack for grouping all of your pretty white dishes! I am leaving inspired. Just Beautiful!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

the background for your white dishes is lovely. warms the heart with all this chilly winter weather hanging on.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your beautiful whites are perfect against the dark background and cabinet. Great job arranging them in such a pleasing way. Thanks for sharing.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Pat, you did a beautiful job, stacking and styling your white disd'hes! I love that white pear, so pretty. Yvonne inspired me several weeks ago to put ALL of my white dishes in my glass front cabinets. I love the look, all the whites together and it is just very pleasing to the eye.