Friday, January 3, 2014

Don't Rain On My Parade!!!

Early 70's, I was a h u g e Barbara Streisand fan.

I could watch Funny Girl over and over and over. 
I could recite from memory most of Barbara's lines.
My favorite part of this movie?
When Fanny is on the boat wailing out "Don't Rain On My Parade!"




Directly following the Grand Marshall, Studio One 
in my 2013 Projects on Parade 
is the updating of the Gardens On Crooked Creektt.

Due to an irregularly shaped back yard,
"Mr. Ed" and I decided, years ago, to establish a variety of Gardens
throughout the space for our viewing pleasures.



The first Garden established was The Herb Garden.

This is the most frequently viewed Garden On Crooked Creektt.
It is seen daily from our double French patio doors off the Dining Room.



Over the years, the perimeter alongside The Herb Garden
has filled in nicely with vinca vines, dusty miller, boxwood and euonymus.



The use of heirloom farm implements add visual interest to The Herb Garden.

The Children's Garden received the most improvement in 2013.






Two long years of drought, here on the Prairie, 
had left The Children's Garden in great distress.


"Mr. Ed" added a new layer of mulch 
and concrete landscaping pavers to define the area.



My designing contribution to The Children's Garden
was the choice of plantings for our sons' vintage bicycle basket.

The Fairy Garden, also received some new planting choices
and the addition of a new fairy!

"Mr. Ed" and my favorite Irises.




Late seasonal blooming sedum blends nicely with the purple salvia.



Yellow snapdragons were planted amongst the existing yellow yarrow.







Our new fairy,
dons a petite galvanized bucket, and a berry wreath atop her head 
while inviting one to dance amongst the dainty flowers.



She makes  a nice compliment to the existing, mature fairy 
already residing within On Crooked Creektt's Fairy Garden.







Affectionately named The Heirloom Garden,
this is the original Garden On Crooked Creektt.

Since arrivingOn Crooked Creektt,
"Mr. Ed" has planted drought resistant Shasta Daisies and Purple Cone Flower.






The greatest improvement, to enhance the appearance of this area,
came after a h u g e 70mph +  wind took down a portion 
of the shared privacy fence.

In the right hand corner of this photo,
you can see the addition of a Garden Gate 
which disguises all the unsightly garden "stuff".



Original to The Heirloom Garden 
are the Rambling Rose and Hibiscus Bushes.






Directly behind this Hibiscus Bush, 
you can see our 2014 Container Garden during its experimentation in 2013.



Our final is Garden is The Sunflower Garden!

My favorite. . . for I do  l o v e  Sunflowers!!!










Here on the Prairie of Kansas,
our struggles with gardening, in general, are due to the arid climate.
This past Summer we had a break from the excessive drought and heat.

Our lawn, flowers and Gardens were green and lush right up to frost.





Unlike Barbara Streisand's hit. . .
I think I'm going to make an exception 
and ask that it continue to Rain On My Parade in 2014!


Until next time. . .

* * * * * * * FYI * * * * * * *
To view more of the Gardens On Crooked Creektt,
scroll down to the bottom of the sidebar on the right
and click on any photo to see each post in its entirety.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


On Crooked Creektt will be joining 


Debra @ Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday!

And. . .



And. . .



Be sure to visit for inspiration abounds 
from each of these ladies in The Land of Blog!

5 comments:

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I am still a HUGE Barbra fan. I sang all her songs along with my record player and in HS actually sang People for an audience. She was my idol!!! This post was such a treat to see with all out cold and snow right now! Thanks for sharing all this beauty. Can't wait for Spring:)

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

You must be dreaming of spring, BUT from the new pictures on your side bar you look like your having fun in the snow!

podso said...

It's nice to see all the pretty flowers and greenery to remind us of warmer weather. I keep remembering when I see your blog, that I want to make a fairy garden this year. And I love that wagon wheel--and the bike--all nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Your gardens and flowers are so pretty and I'll bet you're dying to get your dainty fingers in the dirt and start digging! :) Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

must love junk said...

What beautiful gardens you have!! Makes me long for spring :)
Susan