Monday, March 23, 2020

My Heirloom Secretary. . .

What a history this Early American Style Secretary has!


I do believe I might have been seven or eight years old the first time ever I saw it.


You see,
this Secretary belonged to my MoMa. . .
                                                        and years ago, was gifted to me by my Dad!



So~o~o. . .
while we're 'social distancing' ourselves,
I decided it was a 'perfect timing' for 're~stylin' the Secretary!

* * * *Tutorial * * * * * * * 


After emptying completely and a through dusting and polishing,
I prepared the 'pigeon holes' for a bit of a refining
of the materials used on a daily basis within my Secretary.


Beginning with the center,
I placed some flora and personalized notecards with a blue color palette.


Next,
I added the brushed gold framed miniature photos of my dearest Sister and I.




Filling the voided space,
I used a vintage, shell shaped, hand painted bird motif miniature dish.


Next,
working from left~to~right, I began filling in the remaining 'pigeon holes'.



Hand crocheted miniature doily, and some Victorian seed packets
provide a vintage backdrop for my size 2 and size 3 vintage inkwells.



Spring flora note cards tied with sheer olive green ribbon,
a remnant of sheet music and a pair of silver birds complete the left side.



A touch of bright blue in my Thank You cards
brings the eye all the way across the 'pigeon holes' to the opposite side.



Die~cut Lily of the Valley note card
and a trio of hand~stamped oval rose gift tags complete the 'pigeon holes'.




















Quite a refined and refreshing appearance to the once hodge~podge of items.


Beginning once again in the center,
I filled the back space of the desktop with a Tulip print note card
and a vintage brass and glass inkwell.



I use the space, that would have been used for writing pens
to the side of the inkwell, for elegantly inspired postage stamps.
I adore these Madonna and Child postage stamps from Christmas!






From left ~ to ~right,
I've placed the items that are used weekly from my heirloom Secretary.


While this may seem to be an excess of notecards, postage, stationery
and thank you cards, at least one or more of these items is used on a daily basis.

Oh, and I mustn't forget the most important items on the desktop!


Honestly, 
I would be lost without my many "lists".

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Like the freshness of the air after a gentle Spring rain
is the 're~stylin' of my heirloom Secretary.







Until next time. . .
                           Pat


Dear Ones,
My heart goes out to each and every follower of On Crooked Creek
during these extremely trying times we face as a Nation, as each State,
as each County, as each Town and as each family.

The Land of Blog has remained an outlet of my creativity and expression.
But, do not let it appear that my heart is not deeply troubled during this
'social distancing' as prescribed to 'flatten the curve' during the Covid -19 pandemic.

"Mr. Ed" and I, like many of you, are doing our part by staying at home,
except for necessities, and want to encourage and uplift you as you do the same.
May God pour out His blessings upon each and every one of us as we endure.
In my heart, I do believe. . ."this too, shall pass."
Fondly,
Pat

No comments: